Wednesday, February 8, 2017

Prenuptial Romance

One of our favorite things my fiance and I do together is snuggling on the sofa while he watches Deep Space Nine, scratching my back as I peruse Pinterest on my laptop. Every once in awhile I’ll come across articles like, “9 things every engaged couple should discuss” or “Why pre-marriage counseling is the best thing ever.” He'll pause the show and we’ll go over the list checking the items off. Kids? None. Money? Got that figured out. Life goals? Yep. Household duties? Oh my god can you please do the dishes once in awhile?
We found ourselves talking about prenups, which turned into a very romantic conversation. Neither of us has any major assets to protect right now. Someday, we will both inherit property, his will be far more valuable than mine. My intended said he thought putting together a prenup might take away some of the worry, should we ever part. And, let’s face it, lives change over time and, even if you don’t end up in a bitter battle, sometimes splitting happens. He wanted to make sure that lawyers wouldn’t have a chance to muck things up.
Luckily, I told him, lawyers don’t have to be involved. My ex-husband and I did our divorce without lawyers and, other than having to correct some documents, and having to go through every account we have ever had to present it to the court, it wasn’t too difficult (of course, emotionally, it was a shit show.) So, we agreed that maybe, if we wanted to draw one up, it would just include something about neither of us requesting spousal support. And, any mutual assets (houses, etc.) will be an equal split or one can buy out the other. If I make a million dollars selling my smut novel, I keep that. If his law firm wins a huge case and he gets paid a ton, he keeps that. Lottery winnings? We have to figure that one out still.
Why is this romantic? Because we talked about something that sometimes people don’t want to admit could happen. We are up front, facing reality, not afraid of the ugly. Because we are a team but we don’t begin and end with each other. It doesn’t diminish our commitment to each other. It’s okay to think there may be an end. Although, it’s more fun to think of him as an old man, shuffling around the kitchen, while I remind him to take his pills.

1 comment: